Sunday, July 01, 2007

 

Manteca

As I've strived (is that a word?) for authenticity in my Mexican kitchen, I went out and bought a package of manteca (lard) -- basically the homogenized, pure white, Crisco-esque goop they sell in the States. Last week, however, as our housekeeper and I hit the mercado to get ingredients for our marathon tamale-making session*, she set me straight. She only buys the good stuff. The good stuff is basically the fat rendered from a roasted pig. (FYI: Here they call roast pork carnitas, but it's pretty much identical to good Southern pulled pork with the some extra body parts thrown in for good measure.) Anyway, post-roast the carnitas guys strain the fat, refrigerate it and sell it in 1 kilo bags. What a revelation! Rich, satisfying, fuck-your-arteries, down home pork flavor. Yum.

*A lot of work to be sure, but we cranked out five dozen in one morning. Next up: menudo!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?