Tuesday, August 07, 2007

 

Chicharrone Heaven

Chicharrone is deep fried pork rind. It's sinfully good and more than likely death on wheels. They sell it here in huge hog-sized sheets, but frankly, we've refrained from buying in bulk. So why am I a fan? Last Friday night, El Campanario, one of our favorite restaurants, was featuring chicharrone crusted red snapper. After a couple of strong margaritas and some jokes about clogged arteries, we decided to give it a try. Oh my God!!! I'm guessing they threw some in the food processor to give it a bread-crumb like consistency, then dredged the fish fillets in it. Truthfully, I couldn't tell whether they sauteed or baked the fish, though I'm leaning toward baked. No sauce -- we squeezed some lime on it, took a bite and commenced to moaning. Strange as the recipe sounds, I'd suggest giving it a try. Your guests will be blown away.

Comments:
Chicarrones? I remember when I ordered some dish wrapped in these pork skins and they came all soggy and unappetizing. Glad to hear the chefs have figured out a way to make them appealing.

num num!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?