Friday, October 26, 2007

 

Food For Thought

As the weather gets cooler, my appetite sharpens. I like to spend more and more time in the kitchen. What a treat then to come across an interview with the legendary chef Alice Waters this morning. (Thanks, Mizzy, for sharing.) Here's a particularly inspiring excerpt:

From Alice Waters:

“…tell yourself cooking is a meditation. I like to do it. It's relaxing for me to come home -- it truly is! -- and wash the salad. I love to see the salad in the sink. To spin the salad. I like to dry it. I like to pound to make a vinaigrette with my mortar and pestle. I enjoy grinding coffee and putting it in the filter and warming up the milk. It's part of a ritual that gives my life meaning and beauty.

“…this is a crazy kind of life. It's over before you know it. And so you have to find ways of slowing it down. And this is an everyday delightful way to slow it down. Take time. Take a moment. The most important value of [cooking] aside from nourishment is that there's pleasure in the doing. It's pleasure in work. It's something that we don't understand in this country. Work is over there and pleasure's over here, and we work our whole lives so that we can go on a cruise ship. It's just insanity, and some people don't even make it to the cruise ship.

"So we have to figure out about everyday pleasure. It's trying to bring people back to their senses. Put the smells in the house. Make the chicken stock so it makes people hungry. Burn the rosemary, make the bread. These are all aromatic ways to bring people back to the table."


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?