Monday, August 31, 2009

 

Escuela

This past week, public schools here in San Miguel opened for business. We have a primary school just up the street from as and as I was leaving the house last Tuesday, I just stood and marveled at the stream of families walking past, headed to and from the school. Not just just moms or grandmas, but entire families. I watched a young working class couple deposit their daughter then slowly walk back toward their home, hand-in-hand, sharing a liquado. At that moment, everything made total sense to me. Neighborhood, family, connection, seasons, love... Later that day, I happened past a nearby high-ticket, bilingual private school as parents arrived to get their kids. A long line of SUV's and minivans jockying for position, parents anxiously glancing at watches, kids being hustled out of the building.... Who's got the better life? Which family would I like to be part of? And thinking back, which family did my own kids grow up in? Later that evening, this little life lesson came full circle as I came across the following little couplet from the poet W.H. Davies:

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?


What is it indeed?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?