Saturday, October 31, 2009

 

You Know You're Getting Old When...

(From Miz): As you know, I've been homeschooling 2 boys, ages 10 and 12, the last few weeks. And even though the older one, Gus, is exceedingly interested in history, there is one item from the past that he still knew nothing about. Of course, it's hard for me to think of it as already a part of history but there it is. His mom, Jeannie, described it so well in her blog entry:

The funniest thing about our visit to the [Houston Space Center's] Old Mission Control is that the boys were fascinated by the dial phones on the consoles. “What’s this?” they wanted to know. They were sticking their fingers in the holes and letting the dials spin as if this was the coolest new video game. “I see how this works,” Gus said. “You just stick your finger in the hole with the number you want to dial and move it all the way to the little metal thing. That’s neat.” Lord, I know I’m old and that the world has moved way too quickly when my child is awed by a dial phone!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?